Tuesday, May 20, 2008

When I Grow Up...

A lot of changes happening for me this coming summer. I'm quiting my job in a month's time. I'm moving to New York City right after that. I'm starting a Ph.D. program in the fall. And just before that, I'm going to propose to GF.

So, I'd love to get some input on what I should do for the summer. Duvall has suggested something fun like volunteering at a museum. GF has suggested that I do something that will advance my academic network (volunteer research). A coworker has suggested that I:

  1. Write short articles everyday or week and try to get them published. Also, start a blog to house them all.
  2. Tutor kids.
  3. Help old ladies cross the street (or just something related to old people).
  4. Work with illegal immigrants using language skills.
  5. Assist a presidential campaign.

She came up with all this in the span of about five minutes. Needless to say, she didn't want to do her work.

So, what do you all think? My fallback is temping, which I'm perfectly happy with. I do want to stay in NYC and hold to a 9-5 or so schedule as much as possible, as this is GF and my chance to finally live together. And we're getting a Wii for some quality time together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

heh. kinda weird to read about your (anticipated) engagement in this forum. but congratulations.

as for what to do. if I had the time, I'd try to work for a top restaurant for a week. but not sure if you're into that kind of thing.

or travel around the world, but I guess you wanted to stay local.