Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Purchases

Every so often I get the buying bug, and that mostly means I pick up a video game or some books or - lately - components for my computer. And because I'm cheap, I agonize over every purchase: is this worth it? Do I really need this? How much will I really enjoy this? Wouldn't I be better served by just listening to more NPR? blah blah blah

To give you a sense of scale, I spent months selecting components for my PC (Duvall can attest to this) and, after living in my new city for over two years, I have only just gotten an Internet connection after much debate. My life has improved immeasurably because of it.

In the interests of letting you take part in this angst, I have a question. My current buying bug is focused on getting a DVD burner for my computer. I already have a DVD player, but sometimes I wonder whether it would be nice to play a CD and a movie at the same time. I would only really use the burner to copy some files on a DVD, which I could probably do at work. But the idea of having two appeals to me for some reason.

So, what do you all think? And if you think two players is a good thing, why? What could I do with them both?

2 comments:

hcduvall said...

Do it and be done. It's a one and away sort of purchase.

Unknown said...

i suppose the main benefit of the dvd burner and the player is you can do the get netflix and build an infinite dvd collection thing. not that I ever find myself with time to watch movies more than once nowadays anyway.

and of your new city, perhaps we should get lunch sometime before I leave. I'm only around until end of June.